|Michael Crick, C4|
|Adam Boulten, Sky News|
Michael Crick of Channel 4 News said the number of demonstrators who turned up (with under 24 hours notice) was "1,000 to 1,500 maybe".
Adam Boulten of Sky News reported "more like 300".
The official police estimate was 10,000 (Police estimates have got more reliable over the years - they couldn't get worse could they).
These things are easy to check, there is plenty of video.
Unfortunately the Channel 4 video of the crowd stopped panning just beyond the half way point, eliminating nearly 50% of the protesters.
Even easier though is some simple maths:
- The grass area of the square is a little over 50m by 50m
- 50x50 = 2,500 square metres.
- The square was full, and packed.
- About 4 people comfortably fit within 1 square metre, without bumping into each other.
- 4 x 2,500 = 10,000 people.